What is Cellulite?
Cellulite is a term for the dimpled appearance of thighs and buttocks, which will affect 80-90% of all women.
The cause of cellulite is unknown, but it is thought to result from an interaction between the connective tissue below the surface of the skin and the layer of fat that is just below it. In women, fat cells and connective tissue in this layer are arranged vertically. When fat cells protrude into the layer of skin, the appearance of cellulite is created. In men, tissues have a fish net structure, which may explain why men are less likely to have cellulite than women.
Ageing, genetics, dietary choices, an inactive lifestyle, metabolic speed, and hormones all play a part in the formation of cellulite.
What you can do to improve the appearance of cellulite.
- Eat a diet that is low on processed food and carbohydrates
- Eat fresh vegetables
- Try to avoid standing or sitting for long periods
- Walk and take the stairs whenever you can.
- Add squats to your exercise routine to build muscle
- Stop smoking. Smoking disrupts blood flow and the formation of new collagen
Do creams and topical applications work?
Retinol and body creams which contain ingredients such as caffeine have been shown to improve the appearance of cellulite. Caffeine dehydrates the cells, while retinol over a period of months thickens the skin. Dieting and liposuction are completely ineffective since they do not alter the structure of connective tissue.
What can you do if those treatments fail to bring about the changes you desire?
Venus Legacy™ delivers safe and effective treatments that smooth cellulite, improve the appearance of sagging skin, and reduce fine lines and wrinkles on the face and body comfortably with no downtime. Venus Legacy™ uses heat to naturally boost collagen production and break down fat cells, which smooths cellulite, improves the look of sagging skin, and diminishes wrinkles on the face and body.
How it works
Venus Legacy™ uses Multi-Polar Radio Frequency and Pulsed Electro Magnetic Fields to produce heat under the skin’s surface. This process helps to naturally increase collagen and elastin fibers, while also shrinking the volume of fat cells. At the same time, an adjustable pulsed suction (called VariPulse™) gently works to pull the skin upward, allowing the energy to travel deeper and providing more comfortable and effective treatment. The result is a body that looks slimmer and more sculpted, skin that looks tighter, and cellulite that almost disappears.
What you should know:
- Venus is safe for all skin tones.
- The treatments are cumulative. After your final treatment, your results will continue to improve for up to 3-4 months. After that, your face and body continue to age, so maintenance is recommended once a month or every 3-4 months, depending on the person.
- No downtime. The treatment area may look a little flushed and warm to the touch, but this will go away within 1-2 hours. You can return to your daily schedule immediately after your treatment.
- Most patients receive 6-8 treatments per area. The exact number will depend on each individual person and the area being treated. Treatments are done once a week. Each session lasts 15-30 minutes, depending on the area being treated
- Venus Legacy™ treatments are comfortable. The level of heat and suction can easily be adjusted to suit you. The applicator will slowly get warmer until your skin reaches the needed temperature and stays within that temperature range. If you do feel it is too hot, let the operator know and they can easily lower the temperature a bit. If the technician is using the VariPulse™ feature, you will also feel a gentle suction on your skin, like a very low-power vacuum, as the applicator moves around the area. This can also be lowered if needed. Afterward the area may feel warm to the touch, but other than that, you will feel perfectly normal.
Before and After
If you think you are a candidate for the Venus Legacy treatment, please call us for a complimentary consultation with Dr. Bonnie Vulich at 312.867-0600.